Our Mission Statement & Core Values
NC Child advocates for policies that improve the lives of all North Carolina children.
Our vision is for every child of North Carolina to have the opportunity to reach their full potential.
What we believe:
- Access: Every child deserves equitable access to the resources, opportunities, and infrastructure that allow them to thrive.
- Community: The voices of children, families, and communities are critical to the development of fair policies, laws, and decisions.
- Research: Independent research and data are foundational to making informed policy decisions for improving the lives of children.
- Policy: Public policy is the critical lever for improving the lives of children and securing their futures.
Our History & Background
Since 1983, the impact of a unified voice for North Carolina’s children is better lives for millions of kids.
Here are a few highlights of what we’ve accomplished working together as child advocates transforming public policy over the last four decades:
- Cut in half the number of uninsured children in our state, with hundreds of thousands more children getting the care they need each year.
- Halved the child death rate, saving tens of thousands of lives.
- Brought high-quality childcare and preschool to thousands of young children each year.
- Removed many toxic environmental hazards from school buildings and childcare centers.
- Raised the age of marriage to 16 in our state, with strict limits for 16- and 17-year-olds.
- Ended the incarceration of teens in adult jails through a Raise the Age campaign for age-appropriate treatment of juveniles. And much more!